Good morning ladies and gents!
It’s Tuesday, which means time for Top Ten Tuesday hosted by the lovely gals over at The Broke and The Bookish. This week’s topic is a bit sappy, but I kind of love it – Top Ten Best Bookish Memories. Let’s take a walk down memory lane…
1. Reading the Outlander series for the first time - Of COURSE my first pick is Outlander-related! The honeyman convinced me to give Outlander by Diana Gabaldon a try during our first year of dating, and then bought me each book after that as I flew through them. I was completely sucked into it, and the honeyman witnessed me sobbing while reading the books a lot. It’s a miracle he stayed with me after seeing me ugly-cry over a book.
2. All my Outlander presents – Every Christmas since I read Outlander for the first time, the honeyman has gotten me a piece of Outlander jewelry, because he is the sweetest <3 And last year for my birthday, my sister Heather got me the 20th Anniversary edition of Outlander SIGNED by Diana Gabaldon!
3. Working at Waldenbooks - Well, this hardly needs explaining! I worked at Waldenbooks for almost two years before they closed, and I loved it there. Not only was I working with books, which was the BEST, I also really cared about all the people I worked with. I miss it.
4. Harry Potter releases with my sister - Oh, Harry Potter mania. I miss the days of anxiously awaiting for the newest Harry Potter to come out. I went to two midnight releases with Heather I think, and they were always fun.
5. Re-arranging all of my books - Umm basically, a part of me loves any chance or excuse I get to play with my books. Moving is always a little exciting because I spend so much time going through my books (logging them, purging a bit, re-arranging them on shelves), but now and then I get a new shelf or something that means I get to play with them a bit. Seriously, it’s like a little girl playing with her dolls.
6. Author tweets - One of the COOLEST things about living in the digital age is that Twitter exists, and because of it I occasionally get to talk to authors! The best was that last year, Diana Gabaldon tweeted to say happy birthday to me. I’ve also had authors contact me to say thanks for a positive review, and recently I had a big long debate with an author over gun laws. I love getting to converse with authors, without having to go somewhere far away to see them in person!
7. Getting coffee and books at Borders - Whenever me and Heather wanted to get to hang out, we usually ended up at the Borders near her house to get coffee and look at books. It was the best. Since Borders closed we don’t get to do that anymore
8. All the blogging - What, book blogging counts as bookish memories, right? Seriously though, I can’t even pick just one blogging moment. I love interacting with other bloggers, I’m amazed every day at how awesome and lovely ya’ll are.
9. Annual library book sale - Every year my local library holds a giant book sale at the mall, and it’s FANTASTIC. This is the first year in a while that I didn’t get to go, because I couldn’t get out of work and was busy. But usually I take a half day at work so I can be there as SOON as the sale starts, and I spend an hour or two looking through all the books and taking home a big bag or two for so cheap. It’s really fun.
10. When I stopped being a book snob - Well, I’m still a teeny bit of a book snob, but back in the day when I first started working at Waldenbooks, I basically only read non-fiction and a little bit of literary fiction. Then a fellow co-worker (who is now and still my very good friend) suggested I get over myself and try a romance novel, and she suggested Bet Me. It’s still my favorite romance novel to this day, and I also read SO many different genres now – romance, sci-fi, fantasy, YA, westerns… pretty much anything.
Alrighty, so those are my ten! I’m sure most of you have much cooler things like meeting authors or going to big bookish events, but I haven’t done any of that stuff, so here are my humble little bookish memories. What are some of yours?