SPOILERS, FOR REAL PEOPLE. DON’T READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN’T EXPERIENCED THE DELIGHT THAT IS THE MOONSTONE.
Holy crap it’s over! AND IT WAS GODFREY THE WHOLE TIME!! And despite his constant shady ways, I never saw it coming. I suck.
Also, who’s so much better than I thought he would be? Ezra Jennings. Cause I totally thought he was gonna be all creepy and malicious, but Wilkie sure proved me wrong on that one and instead made him so awesome. And way nicer than most people would be, cause people were straight-up assholes towards him. Except for Rachel, she was sweet to him so she gained major points in her favor with that. Also, Franklin Blake is THE MOST BORINGEST NARRATOR EVER. Dude his chapters sucked. The last section of the book was totally saved by Ezra and the reappearance of Cuff & Betteredge. And that little Gooseberry kid.
Betteredge, I love you forever. “You shall be obeyed. The maggots notwithstanding, sir, you shall be obeyed.” Even if you were a total douche to Ezra, you were hilarious while doing so and I can forgive almost anything if it makes me laugh.
Soooo… am I supposed to have deep thoughts? I have none. I’m more like:
1. Betteredge is the man. So if Cuff. And Ezra.
2. I totally thought Lady V died in a weird way. I wish Wilkie had down more with that.
3. YAY Wilkie for not loving only white people, and for returning the Diamond to India in the end. Cause it would have been kind of jerky if Rachel & Franklin had recovered it and got to keep it.
4. I need to work “There’s a tract for that.” into more day-to-day conversations.
5. I need to write down ALL the hilarious Betteredge quotes down somewhere.
6. Holy crap still surprised it was Godfrey. That sly bastard.
7. W. C. loves his opium. For reals.
And I could probably go on for ages, except it would probably get boring. So my first experience with Wilkie = major giant thumbs up. Maybe this fall I’ll finally get to read The Woman in White and join in on all this Marian-lovin. Cause you guys seem to really dig her.
It’s been fun guys! Can’t wait for the next one