Happy New Year’s Eve! 2016 is finally over (finally!) and now I can do the fun stuff, like dive deep into data about my reading and book-buying and stuff.
I’m pretty excited about my Top Ten Favorite Books of 2016, because man they were stunning.
- Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow
- The Mothers by Brit Bennett
- Heroine Complex by Sarah Kuhn
- Let It Shine by Alyssa Cole
- The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers
- Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
- Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson
- Do You Want to Start a Scandal by Tessa Dare
- Last Call at the Nightshade Lounge by Paul Krueger
- Men We Reaped by Jesmyn Ward
Narrowing down my top ten felt extra hard this year, which is why I did a Top Five Runner-Ups post. And I don’t know if I’ve ever had romance in my top five before, but I read some exceptional ones this year.
So, my reading goals for last year were mostly the same as the year before:
- Read 50% non-white authors.
- Buy more books / spend more dollars on non-white authors.
- Maintain roughly 50% gender stats
Another one of my goals was also for 75% of my reading to come from my own shelves or Scribd, and I failed horribly at that, so let’s just move on now.
So, a couple notes:
- I read fewer books and fewer comics this year than in 2015, which is a bummer. I’m pretty sure I read so many fewer comics (501 in 2015) because I read hardly any digital ones this year. I got rid of Scribd earlier in the year when they changed with model again, and I didn’t get Marvel Unlimited until November. And this was just a really busy year, so I’m not surprised the number of books I read decreased. I’m actually surprised it only decreased by 5.
- I tried to go on a book-buying ban for 6 months, and that failed and backfired. I ended up buying about 60 more books this year than the year before.
- My page count is actually higher than last year – probably because I re-read the first four Outlander books this year.
So we all know that 2016 was a garbage fire for many, many reasons, but I do want to point out a couple awesome things that happened for me this year:
- Got married to the honeyman!
- Visited Washington, DC for the first time.
- Went to Book Riot Live! (This was also one of my 2016 goals, woohoo!)
- Moved to a bigger apartment.
- Got two new tattoos (vault symbol and arrow – the arrow is the only thing my family could agree on when we decided to get a matching tattoo)
So, even though 2016 sucked on a massive, general scale – I had lots of good things going on.
And now, I have some pretty simple goals for 2017.
All right you guys. Have a wonderful night tonight, and let’s go into 2017 positive and determined to kick ass!
Happy New Year!