Alright, I’m ready to get this party started! As always, thanks to the many folks who put the Dewey’s 24-Hour Readathon together every 6 months – y’all are the best. And fellow readathoners – looking forward to hanging out with you all day!
I’m going to attempt to stay up the full 24 hours, but let’s be real – I’ll probably take a nap or two. I have the apartment to myself and not a damn thing to do today, so I’m gonna be pretty relaxed 🙂
The books in my pile:
- Binti by Nnedi Okorafor – Novella I’ve been REALLY excited to read.
- Hell-Heaven by Jhumpa Lahiri – Short story.
- Salem’s Lot by Stephen King – Got this from the library, I just wanted some horror in my pile.
- Imitation by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie – Short story.
- Lagoon by Nnedi Okorafor – I’ve also been super excited to read this, and it’s only $1.99 on Kindle right now, so if you’re looking for a good sci-fi/fantasy/magical realism read… I’m pretty sure it’s gonna be awesome.
- Please Do Not Taunt the Octopus by Mira Grant – A kinda new Newsflesh novella.
- The Engagements by J. Courtney Sullivan – I’ve had this on my Kindle for a while, and I want to read it while I’m still engaged (because I’m a dork).
- Cybersexism by Laurie Penny – Feminist essay I guess? It’s non-fiction, and really short.
- More Than Human by Ramez Naam – More non-fiction, because sometimes I need my brain to be exercising.
- Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass by Meg Medina – Seriously I’ve been meaning to read this for like a year.
- Silver Lining by Maggie Osborne – This month’s Vaginal Fantasy pick. I’ve been wanting to join this book club/group run by Felicia Day, but man I wish I wasn’t starting when the theme was Western romance. We’ll see how it goes…
- Comics! Comics! Comics!
AND I have a ton of stuff on Scribd I can dive into. Alright, it’s less than 15 minutes till we start now, so I should probably wrap this up with the Intro meme questions:
1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? Western NY
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? Binti, I’ve been wanting to start it for days now but I’ve been saving it for the readathon.
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? Two-minute dip! (Cream cheese, turkey chili, and shredded cheese spread/layered on a plate and microwaved for two minutes. It’s not fancy but man it’s so good. Eat with tortilla chips.)
4) Tell us a little something about yourself! I’m getting married in 83 days!
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? I’ve been joining in on the readathon for YEARS. Don’t know that I’ll be doing anything new this year, except maybe not setting book/page goals. This might been the first time I’ve had zero errands to run or chores to do.
I’ll have my laptop open all day and my phone right next to me, so feel free to chat! I’m @SarahSaysRead on pretty much everything. Let’s do this!!