This post is SO LATE. Shadowshaper came out on June 30th, and I went to my local Barnes and Noble, and they didn’t have it (didn’t sell it out, just not stocking it). I ordered it on Amazon instead, and chose the No Rush shipping because it usually comes in 2 days anyways and then I get my $1 credit for music/tv/books. Well by yesterday, a week later, I STILL didn’t have my book. For some reason the carrier had it marked as “signature required” and claimed they attempted delivery, but they did not, and why the hell would a signature be required… ANYWAYS, enough rambling. After lots of irritation and anger I made Amazon refund my money and keep their book, and drove like 20+ minutes away last night to the big Barnes and Noble to finally get it.
And this post is late all because I wanted Shadowshaper in my pile, because much excitement. Good lord. So here we are.
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee – This is a re-read. I’m going to read the new Harper Lee when it comes out, but I thought a refresher of this would be nice since I’ve only read it once.
- Shadowshaper by Daniel José Older – Older is awesome and I have been VERY looking forward to this.
- Mermaids in Paradise by Lydia Millet – I’ve heard Book Riot folks praise this on the podcast, and I stumbled across it last night while at Barnes and Noble for 50% off. So yay.
- Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town by Jon Krakauer – I’m reading this now and it’s about as horrible and terrifying as you’d expect. Horrible as in subject matter, of course. The book itself seems really well-written. I’m about 35% or so into it.
The Summer Prince by Alaya Dawn Johnson– BOOM, ALREADY FINISHED. But since it fit nicely into the picture anyways, I’m listing it. Always a nice feeling to add something to your list just so you can cross it off.
- Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari – Listening to the audiobook on Scribd. He has a very distinctive voice, so I’m pretty sure this is a good choice. It’s a LITTLE weird to be listening to a book about technology/romance but also reading a book about rape, but I think the different formats may help keep them separate in my head. (I also recently bought Come As You Are by Emily Nagoski which is about female sexuality and stuff… after starting Missoula, I’m thinking that’s going to wait a bit.)
- Black Widow volume 2
- Manifest Destiny volume 2
- East of West volume 4
- Postal volume 1
- Plus a million other things because I’m so behind.
This week was supposed to be a big reading and blogging week, almost like my own private readathon. That has not really panned out so far, but I’m hopeful for the rest of the week. And the honeyman has drill this weekend, so I can always barricade myself in my apartment on Saturday or Sunday and read read read.
So yeah. That’s what I’m reading this month. I’m feeling pretty good about it. What are you excited to read? I know there’s a LOT of good books coming out this month, tell me what’s on your list!