Good morning peeps.
I have been ridiculously busy lately, and it’s definitely decreased my reading and blogging time, which made this week Top Ten Tuesday (hosted by The Broke and The Bookish) topic all the more perfect – Top Ten Reasons I Love Being A Blogger/Reader. Let the sap fest begin!
Why I Love Being a Reader
1. Escapism – There is just something totally wonderful about being able to ignore the real world and lose myself in a good book.
2. Learning – Yeah, I like to learn things. I’m strange like that. But my wonder at the world never really ceases, and I like learning more about it – especially if it has to do with science, lately.
3. Imagination – I think I have a crap imagination, on my own. Books never fail to impress me with new ideas, concepts, and premises. My favorite books usually end up having something really different about them – a setting on a different planet, or a parallel universe; characters that aren’t human; romance but with time travel, etc.
4. Relaxation – Reading keeps me sane, ya’ll. It relaxes me in the same way that I bet heroin relaxes heroin addicts – I NEED it, and it’s so great when I get to do it, and I never want to stop. (I’m assuming really… I’ve never done heroin.) I definitely feel more frazzled when I don’t get to read as often as I want.
5. I’ve always loved it – I distinctly remember reading when I was a kid, partly as a way to shut my parents out while they fought and partly because we didn’t get to watch a lot of TV. I just fell in love with it, and read everywhere I went, and it’s never changed. It’s so WEIRD to me when I see people waiting at bus stops, or in doctor’s offices, or on their lunch breaks, and they’re NOT reading. What a wasted opportunity!
Why I Love Being a Blogger
6. Talking about books – You have no idea what a joy it was to me to discover that there were groups of people on the internet who just chatted about books! And some of these people had their own websites to do so! Incredible.
7. Bloggers are awesome people –
8. Memory – Talking about the books I read helps me REMEMBER the books I read. My memory is pretty lousy, but writing a review about a book helps nail down at least SOME of the details in my mind.
9. Stats and Reference – It’s also really handy to be able to look through my old posts for reference, or to get stats on my reading habits, or just to be all sappy and nostalgic. It’s kind of surprising how often I’ve had to search my own blog for something.
10. I enjoy it – There’s not really a simpler way to put it. I really like sitting down to blog, reading and commenting on other blogs, tinkering and posting, etc. I wish it was something I could devote way more time to, but unfortunately, it doesn’t pay the bills.
And while this post might have taken a bit to put together, my initial list I wrote down real quick took less than 5 minutes. There are only about a bajillion reasons to love reading and blogging and being a person who does such things.