Not much happened this week. I’m just gonna throw that out there. But the one thing that DID happen was the annual huge used book sale, therefore making a Sarah Sunday post post-worthy this week.
Every year my favorite local library does a GIGANTIC used book sale. They set up a ton of tables in one of the wings of the mall, and for four days they just sell a crap ton of books, and it’s awesome. There were… I want to say 20 big tables? It might be slightly less than that, but it’s definitely over a dozen. And there are boxes of books underneath the tables to dig in to, and it’s just all sorts of awesome. And I’ve made it a bit of a tradition to be there at the very start of the sale, which meant that I took the first half of Thursday off of work so that I could go to the book sale and not have to worry about time. Smart choice.
There’s a picture up there of what I got, but I’ll list them in case the titles are hard to make out. Starting from the top of the left pile…
The Remains of the Day – Kazuo Ishiguro
- The House on Mango Street – Sandra Cisneros
- The Madonnas of Leningrad – Debra Dean
- Flatland – Edwin Abbott
- The Lost World – Arthur Conan Doyle
- The Good Thief – Hannah Tinti
- The Silver Linings Playbook – Matthew Quick (heard SO many good things, and I wanna see the movie)
- The Dinner – Herman Koch
- The Woman Upstairs – Claire Messud (heard good things about this on the Book Riot podcast)
- A Discovery of Witches – Deborah Harkness (bought this and the sequel for my sister, Heather)
- Shadow of Night – Deborah Harkness
- The Dark Towers 2: The Drawing of the Three – Stephen King (grabbed this because I thought I might find the first book, which I did not, and now need to go get…)
- The Hound of the Baskervilles – Arthur Conan Doyle
- The Toynbee Convector – Ray Bradbury
- No One Noticed the Cat – Anne McCaffrey
- In Search of the Big Bang – John Gribbin
- In Search of the Schrodinger’s Cat – John Gribbin
- A Brief History of Time – Stephen Hawking (I’ve been itching to buy this, so YAY)
- Black Holes and Baby Universes and Other Essays – Stephen Hawking
- Me Before You – Jojo Moyes (!! Everyone’s been loving this. Guess I need to read it now!)
- Out of Oz – Gregory Maguire
- Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald – Therese Anne Fowler
I put some comments in bold. I think my favorite finds were A Brief History of Time and Me Before You. Those two alone totally made the trip worth it. But all together, I got all those books for only $15. WIN.
Not much else happened this week. Work was busy. I had my little sister Amanda and Devil Baby over for dinner last night. I had a nice day of cleaning and laundry and reading today. OH, and I just watched a movie! Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters. It was okay – campy, fun, but probably not worth a re-watch. I am now TWO movies down for my “52 movies in 2014” goal. Only running a week behind. I have Braveheart and Much Ado About Nothing out from the library, so hopefully I’ll get to those this week. I have another uneventful week ahead of me, though I am hoping to maybe get my car fixed next weekend. That would be nice. I love the Jeep, but DAMN the gas.
Oh, and tomorrow is Martin Luther King Jr. Day. So here’s a treat! Gandhi vs. Martin Luther King Jr Epic Rap Battle of History, featuring Key and Peele. My favorite line is at 00:47.
What have you guys been up to this weekend?