Good morning peeps! It’s Tuuuuuesday, and a very busy one for me – I have to work at both jobs today. Booooooo. But that’s not stopping me from joining in on Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. This week’s topic is Top Ten Character Names I Love or Top Ten Unusual Character Names. Mine is kind of… both, because obviously the names I love the most are a bit unusual too.
1. James Alexander Malcolm Mackenzie Fraser – Hot DAMN that’s a lot of names. But then again, Jamie (from the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, of course) is a lot of man.
2. Shotgun Suzie – This is a legit BAD. ASS. character from the Nightside series by Simon R. Green. And I quote: “So… Suzie Shooter. Also known as Shotgun Suzie, also know as Oh God, it’s her, run!”
3. Svetlana – This was a character from the book Nightwatch by Sergei (another great name, Sergei) Lukyanenko. I really like the name Svetlana. I almost named my kitty Gabby that.
4. Paige Turner – This was a character in the first Thursday Next book by Jasper Fforde, and her name just tickled me. I like plays on words in names. The first time I heard the name Justin Credible when I was about 11, my head nearly exploded.
5. Alucard – In all fairness, I haven’t read the Hellsing manga series that Alucard is from. But Alucard is backwards for Dracula, which is cool, and I’ve seen the anime. So it counts.
6. Locke Lamora – Ohhhh Locke Lamora. Locke is from the Gentleman Bastards series by Scott Lynch, of which I JUST finished the second book last night and my emotions are all fragile still and I can’t wait to read the third book. Locke Lamora is a great name. It’s so lyrical.
7. Sirius – From the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. Duh. There are a LOT of great names in that series… Luna Lovegood, Narcissa, Bellatrix, Dumbledore, Remus Lupin, etc…
8. Phileas Fogg – Phileas is a quirky dude who makes a bet that he can go Around the World in Eighty Days. I just think the name Phileas is cool, people should start naming their kids that instead of Philip.
9. Katey Kontent – She’s the star of Rules of Civility by Amor Towles, and her name is just adorable. And it’s Kontent as in “I’m content.”, not like “The contents of this box.” She’s very specific on that.
10. the crew of the Ketty Jay – I love love love the Tales of the Ketty Jay series by Chris Wooding. The Ketty Jay is an airship, and the crew is a mash-up of awesome names – Darian Frey, Jez, Crake, Silo, Malvery, and more.
Do you like any of these? What are some of your favorite character names?