What up, book nerds? I’m actually quite excited for Top Ten Tuesday (hosted by The Broke and The Bookish) this week. The topic is Top Ten Things That Make Your Life As A Reader/Book Blogger Easier, and apparently I had a lot of ideas!
1. My blogging journal – I’ve only been using a blogging journal for… 5 or 6 months now? And I can’t believe I didn’t do it sooner! I’ve been blogging for 4 years! I found this cute little style of notebook that’s the perfect size for my purse (I think it’s this brand/style) at Target, and I love it! I take notes as I read to use for reviews, write down my Top Ten Tuesday ideas, write down other post ideas, etc. There are two little pockets in the front – in one I keep a list of books to buy or get from the library. In the other I keep a little checklist for my reviews, to remind myself to add reviews to my Review page and to Pinterest.
Seriously, having a blogging journal = best idea ever. It helps keep me a little organized.
2. Instagram & Twitter – This year I started taking pictures of the books I’m reading to use in my reviews (instead of just grabbing the cover image off the internet) and Instagram is perfect for making the pictures a little prettier. Plus, it’s just fun to post pictures of books and other random crap. Twitter I sadly don’t get on as much as I’d like (cause my phone is stupid sometimes), but I like chatting with bloggers and authors. It is SO COOL that authors sometimes interact with me! Well done, Digital Age, well done.
3. Blogging calendar – I only started using a calendar solely dedicated to blogging at the start of this year. (A friend gave me the “how to tell if your cat is plotting to kill you” calendar for Christmas, and I already had a calendar.) Since I schedule posts more often these days, this helps me plan stuff out better.
4. WordPress app – So I take a picture of the book I’m going to review in Instagram, save it (usually without posting it), and then go over to the WordPress app and add it to a draft that I eventually finish off for the review. I’ve gotten so used to doing this, I don’t know what I would do without it.
5. The library – I absolutely love my local library (with the exception of the time they accused me of damaging a book that I didn’t), since it allows me to check out so many books that I want to read and review but I’m not sure I want to spend money on yet. Of course, the downside to that is that sometimes I read amazing books and then have to give them back, and go buy the book later. There’s also a little used bookstore at my library, with books usually no more than $2. It’s awesome.
6. My job – Okay well let’s get this straight: I kind of hate my job. A lot. The hours suck, the pay sucks, and it’s high stress-level when it’s busy. Buuuuut the one perk is that I’m alone when I work, which means I can read and blog at work. I always work weekends, which are the slowest days, which means I can usually fit a good amount of reading in, and I can go online to read blogs and to work on my blog. This is by far the thing I’ll miss the most when I get a new job.
7. Amazon Mobile app – Having this app on my phone is super helpful when I’m at a bookstore and I’m looking at a book, and I want to know how people are rating it. (I’m sure you could use the Goodreads app for the same thing.)
8. Post-It Notes – These little suckers are so helpful when you read! Use them as bookmarks, use them to take notes, use them to mark certain pages, etc. Especially when I’m reading library books and can’t make marks in them like I might my own.
9. REALLY good books and REALLY bad books – For real, “meh” books can be the hardest to review and the most boring reviews to read. But give me a book that totally rocked my socks or a book that has me ranting for days, and I’m good. Passionate reviews are the most fun to write AND read, whether it’s positive or negative.
10. My fellow bloggers! – Last but definitely not least are the tons of bloggers that I follow and interact with! I get SO many good book recommendations, I get to discuss books with people (which few people in RL want to do with me), I get to participate in book blogging events (like Top Ten Tuesday memes, or the Bout of Books readathon happening right now)… It’s just the best. I love the book blogging community. Check out my new Blogroll page here – it’s very new, so it’s a list-in-progress, so keep that in mind!
Alright my pretties, now it’s your turn – share some of your blogging and reading tips with me! I could use all the help I could get.