Jenn created Monthly TBR to show up the books you hope to get to within the upcoming month, and I love it. Feel free to visit her blog and join in! You know you wanna.
Good morning there people! I am SO SAD that it’s August, because that means it’s almost the end of the summer and I don’t want it to end 😦
Anyhoo, let’s see how I did in July! I can tell you right now, it’s not great…
Only 5 out of that whole stack! Okay so what happened was… I kept being not-in-the-mood for things. And I only got about 10 pages into The Three Musketeers before I decided it was too long and I wouldn’t have much time to read it this month, because birthdays/anniversary/packing, and yeah. I’m still reading Death By Black Hole, I’m about 100 pages in. But in addition to the books above, I read 8 others: Brokeback Mountain, Joyland, The Silence of Our Friends, Working for the Devil, Habibi, A Lesson Before Dying, Feynman, and Ella Minnow Pea. So I WAS reading, just not what was in my pile. Oh well. Onwards!
Here’s my pile for August… it looks like a lot, but it’s really not.
From the top…
- Dead Man Rising (Dante Valentine #2) by Lilith Saintcrow – I’ve kind of been dying to start this.
- Matilda by Roald Dahl – I could be wrong, but I don’t think I’ve ever read a Dahl book! And I love Matilda the movie, so I bet the book is fabulous.
- A Room of One’s Own by Virginia Woolf – My Classics Club pick of the month. I’ve never read any Woolf either! Crazyness.
- Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore – Re-reading this, because I finally got it back from my sister who borrowed it and I have not reviewed enough Christopher Moore on this blog. It’s a shame, really.
- Relish: My Life in the Kitchen by Lucy Knisley – Everyone has been raving about this graphic novel (that’s not really a novel)! And since I seem to be on a GN kick, it seems like a good time to fit it in.
- The Universe Versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extence – I’ve read some really great reviews for this book (including this one at Here There Be Books). It’s about a kid who gets hit by a meteorite and his strange journey.
- George’s Cosmic Treasure Hunt by Lucy & Stephen Hawking – George’s Secret Key to the Universe was one of the best kid’s books I’ve ever read, and this is the sequel! Yay for science-y children’s books.
- Good-bye, Chunky Rice by Craig Thompson – I honestly have no idea what this graphic novel is about, but thanks to how fantastic Habibi is, I’m willing to try anything by Craig Thompson.
- The Flame Alphabet by Ben Marcus – I forgot where I heard about this book, but it sounds awesome. An epidemic occurs and the sound of children’s speech becomes lethal. That alone sounds like an awesome premise, though terrifying.
- Edge of the Universe by Paul Halpern – My non-fiction science pick for the month.
- Tell the Wolves I’m Home by Carol Rifka Brunt – I AM SO EXCITED TO READ THIS. You don’t even know.
- Blankets by Craig Thompson – That’s right, another graphic novel by Thompson. I’ve heard awesome things about this one, I believe it came out before Habibi.
BAM! Now that’s a big pile, BUT 3 of those books are graphic novels and 2 are kid’s books, so it’s not quite so bad. I’m moving at the end of August, so my attention span is probably not going to be great. Bout of Books 8.0 (week-long readathon) starts August 19th, and I’m hoping to take a break from packing to read a bit each day.
What are you guys hoping to read in August? Do you aim for anything in particular when you know you’re going to be busy?