So remember how today I was going to start the process of switching to self-hosting? Yeah, that’s not happening yet. Partly because it was time for the annual gym membership fee and I did not realize that that was happening this week.
I AM still going to switch to self-hosting on WordPress.org by the end of the year. But after looking more closely at the price plans offered by Bluehost (which is the hosting service I’m going to go with), I want to buy the 36-month plan (which comes out to $3.95 a month) because it’s way cheaper overall, but not cheaper right now because I don’t have that this week (they want the full amount at the time of sign-up – obviously, if it was just $3.95 each month I could handle that right now). So, here’s my plans until then:
- We’re moving in September to a cheaper apartment, so wait until the fall to switch when I’ll have a little more extra money.
- Sign up with Bluehost for their awesome 36-month price plan.
- Possibly save up the $129 to pay WordPress for the “Guided Transfer”, which means they do the switch for me and I wouldn’t have to screw around with DNS things and other techy stuff I know nothing about. I mean I’m sure I could figure it out, but I am also totally willing to pay for someone to do it for me and just avoid the headache, ya know?
- In the mean time, work with my sister Heather to come up with a new design for my blog, to implement once I switch.
- When it comes time to do the switch, do NOT do it after a big blogging event like Bout of Books or Armchair BEA, because it’s just too hectic. Also, schedule reviews so that I’m not totally behind once I make the switch.
On the plus side, this makes my few days off this week MUCH more relaxed, and leaves me more time to clean, take naps, and catch up on reviews! I have 3 books to review right now… I never have that many waiting for me all at once.
So yeah, that there is the plan. Hope everyone is having a good Monday!