Happy Harry Potter Post Day ya’ll! I am trying to be VERY upbeat, or I’ll spend the rest of the series being super-depressed about Sirius… but this first section is kind of fun, ain’t it?
I love that we don’t see Harry until two chapters into this book. It’s like J.K. knew I’d be still kind of mad at Harry from the last book, so she slowly eased him into this one. Plus it’s totally cool to see what some of the adult wizards are up to during the summer.
I love seeing the Muggle Prime Minister interact with wizards, although man the wizards are kind of douche-y, aren’t they? Just kind of ordering the PM around, and I wanted to slap Fudge and tell him to slow down and really explain things instead of talking to the PM like he knows everything about the wizard world.
- But seriously though, dementors breeding? YUCK.
- I totally love Snape and Bellatrix’s argument, about why Voldemort trusts him. Not only does it show just how smart Snape is, it helped further that old “Is Snape really evil?” debate.
- The Unbreakable Vow! **thunder claps overhead**
- pg. 32 – What’s keeping the wizards in jail if there are no dementors? I mean I know it’s probably pretty easy to lock a wizard up if you take away his wand, but wouldn’t Voldy just show up instantly and break em all out again?
- I feel a teensy bit bad for Narcissa, cause she’s just a worried mom in the beginning there. But why isn’t she out doing Death Eater-y stuff for Voldemort? Is she not really a Death Eater, just her husband? Wouldn’t Voldemort demand her to join along with her husband? I doubt he’d be like “Oh no, I won’t make you a Death Eater, obviously you have to stay at home with your child and cook and clean”. But if so, dude how sexist.
- pg. 46 “yet, sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often” Oh Dumbledore. You’re so saucy.
- Awwww, Mr. Weasley has been promoted!
- Harry is SO NOSY in this section. First following Malfoy in Diagon Alley, and then getting himself locked into the train compartment with Malfoy and his friends. Not the best plan, Harry.
- Although, kudos to Harry for realizing that Malfoy’s probably working for Voldemort. I don’t know why everyone thinks Voldy cares about what age the people he uses are. He was totally willing to kill a toddler, I doubt he cares about waiting until teenagers legally become adults for them to join Death Eater ranks.
- pg. 138 “It was like having friends.” Dude, Luna I love you.
- I find it amusing that Zambini’s mother is a murderous gold-digger.
This was such a short section, compared to the giantess that is OotP. But it was fun, even though I know darker stuff is ahead. Really though, I wish there was a LOT more Dumbledore/Dursley interaction, because that was pure gold.