It’s Harry Potter Day! And I JUST finished reading the first section, so everything is super fresh in my mind.
This book is SO dark compared to the previous books, but first! Some Sirius love.
Now doesn’t that make everyone feel better?
This book tends to get on my nerves a bit, because Harry is such a freaking teenager and I want to slap him. I mean, good job J.K. for writing a moody teenage character so perfectly, but crap it makes Harry really irritating. He has more mood swings than I know what to do with.
Sooooo Harry gets attacked by dementors, the Dursleys talk about magic (!), Harry and the gang are all living at Sirius’s place and trying to listen to Order of the Phoenix stuff, a super unfair trial happens but Harry’s cleared of all charges, back to Hogwarts where the MOST EVIL PERSON EVER is the new D.A.D.A. teacher, people are being mean to Harry and now he just got detention with Umbridge for the rest of the week. BAM, whole first 250 pages in one paragraph.
Let’s bullet-point some stuff, mmkay?
- Mrs. Dursley on page 26: “Did he use – his thing?” *snickers*
- Evidence of Harry’s serious case of teen-rage on page 66. Okay I get that he’s frustrated, but he’s like this throughout SO much of the book. Hermione finally tells him to stop being such an ass to her and Ron, but still.
- Ron mentions Kreacher’s mom, and that makes me wonder… how are house-elves procreating? It seems like wizards that have a house elf only have one and they’re basically slaves, so it seems unlikely that they ever get to meet one another to bump elf-uglies…
- On the whole “should Harry be able to ask what’s going on in the Order thing” – I’m totally on Sirius’s side rather than Mrs. Weasley’s. 15 is not that young, and since Harry IS the one who saw Voldy come back and IS the one who Voldy is trying to kill, I think he’s entitled to be kept in the loop. Being kept in the dark is more of a danger.
- Oh, there’s a locket on page 116…
- That hearing/trial happens which is obviously just ridiculous. Knowing what’s coming, Dumbledore’s refusal to even look at Harry is super-upsetting.
- Ron gets made a prefect instead of Harry! He really deserves his moment in the spotlight, so good for him.
- Luna! One of the funnest and most interesting characters is finally introduced. She’s a weird one, but I dig her.
- The most evil character ever AKA Umbridge is introduced as well. UGH.
- Ron on pg. 231: “It means they’re not real fans, they’re just jumping on the bandwagon -“ JUST like a sports fan.
Aaaand I think that was it for most of my random thoughts and post-it notes.
Yay for book 5! On to the second section! As Mrs. Weasley says, “Oh, I’m all of a dither!”