Hooray, Harry Potter readalong-post day!
This post isn’t going to be very organized. I’m just going to spew my many random thoughts all over the place, mmkay?
- There’s a lot of excitement about the big Gryffindor versus Ravenclaw match, and Malfoy is of course being an ass about it and he’s all jealous of Harry’s awesome new Firebolt:
“Shame it doesn’t come with a parachute – in case you get too near a dementor.”
Crabbe and Goyle sniggered.
“Pity you can’t attach an extra arm to yours, Malfoy,” said Harry. “Then it could catch the Snitch for you.”
- Poor Neville gets it a LOT of trouble for writing down those passwords and then losing them. Poor kid.
- Hermione threatens to tell McGonagall about the Marauder’s Map if Harry goes to Hogsmeade. I love her, but she needs to CHILL. It’s not like they’ve all never been in danger before, or done something they weren’t supposed to. I’m going to chalk it all up to the stress of her crazy class schedule, but she’s been super-bossy for a lot of this book. Luckily she does chill out eventually, after her and the boys make up.
- Hermione actually TOTALLY makes up for being super bossy when she smacks Malfoy. Fantastic. Brilliant, even!
- I kind of like that for the majority of the book, Dumbledore is in the background and it’s the teachers who are really in the spotlight. Lupin, McGonagall, and Snape all get a lot of important face-time in this book. Dumbledore only really pops up at the end to help fix things.
- Trelawney makes a real prediction, the SECOND prediction she’s ever really made!!! I wonder what the first is…. 🙂
- I think the part in the Shrieking Shack is one of my favorite of the whole series. It might have been when I really realized that J.K. Rowling is, in fact, a certified genius. Lupin is a werewolf! Harry’s dad and his friends were the Marauders! Pettigrew is Scabbers! Because he was a rat and betrayed the Potters! Which means Sirius is innocent! I cannot even handle the awesomeness of all that. Except…
- Harry has to be a goddamn stupid heroic persona, and doesn’t kill Pettigrew.
I know that he had to save Pettigrew in order for the rest of the series to happen, but stupid crap like that is why I usually hate heroic personas. Saving the life of someone who wants to kill you is right up there with bad guys monologuing instead of killing. Equally as annoying.
- The part when Sirius offers Harry a place to live once his name is cleared, and then is like “Oh yeah no I’m an idiot, of course you don’t wanna” and Harry is all “No, yes, please when can I move in?” I TEARED UP. Sirius is the best. And it makes me so happy for Harry to have a real family member back in his life.
- Crookshanks is an awesome cat. Not better than my Gabby, but pretty cool nonetheless.
- I feel like the whole turning-back-time part isn’t nearly as annoying in the book as it is in the movie. Although in all fairness, the third movie is the WORST so maybe that’s why. But hooray for Sirius and Buckbeak being saved! So much happy!
I feel like the end of Prisoner of Azkaban is where the storyline of the series REALLY starts. Harry’s growing up, Pettigrew has run off presumably to find his old master, Harry knows about Sirius, we’ve learned a lot more backstory… shit is getting real. I am SOOOOOOO excited to start Goblet of Fire this weekend!!!
So you guys have thoughts. Whatcha thinkin?