> Good morning ya’ll! Time for my favorite meme of the week, Top Ten Tuesday, which is hosted by the fabulous peeps over at The Broke and The Bookish. This week’s topic is Top Ten Books That Should Be In Your Beach Bag. Perfect topic for today, since it’s going to be about 90 degrees here. I wish I was going to the beach…
1. The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd – This books takes place for the most part on a small island. The main character, Jessie, comes home to Egret Island to re-evaluate her life and rediscover who she is and her passion for life. There’s a lot of local mermaid history too. Good if you want kind of a deep beach read.
2. Mrs. Whippy by Cecelia Ahern – This is a SUPER-short book, so it’s perfect for those beach-goers who fall in asleep in the sun, or who get distracted by friends and family. It’s about a lady and her interest in an ice-cream man. This might make you want to go visit the ice cream stand by your beach, if you’re lucky enough to have one.
3. Are You There Vodka? It’s Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler – Basically a bunch of hilarious stories about Chelsea’s life, it’s funny and it has short chapters, so again perfect if you can’t really concentrate. Or if you’re drinking while you’re at the beach.
4. The Fairy Godmother by Mercedes Lackey – If you like fairy-tale retellings with a little bit of romance, this novel is right up your alley. And it’s light and cute, perfect for the beach.
5. anything by Christopher Moore – Moore’s books are all hilarious, and they take place for the most part in California. Fluke in particular takes place a lot in the ocean.
6. Married With Zombies by Jesse Petersen – Cute book about how a couple close to divorce reconnects when the zombie apocoplyse hits. It’s the start of a series too. The newest, Eat Slay Love, is coming out in June.
7. Harry Potter books – Because most of us have read and read them again, these are perfect comfort reads. And yet they’re still SO good that you won’t want to put them down.
8. Barefoot by Elin Hilderbrand – Honestly, I haven’t read anything by this author yet. But if I was going to the beach today, I’d stop at the library and borrow this book. Look up the author and look at the book covers – they’re all beach scenes!
9. anything by Jennifer Crusie – She’s my favorite contemporary romance author. Her books are always fun and sweet and fluffy.
10. The Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris – Especially if you already like True Blood, give the books a try. They’re not great, but they’re easy and fun and have vampires.
This list was surprisingly harder than I thought. I know that “chick lit” is usually the go-to genre for beach reads, but I haven’t read a lot of it. At least not that I’ve liked. Anyhoo, those are my suggestions! What are yours?
BTW, this list is PERFECT for my Summer Mini-Readathon coming up in July! It’s only 12 hours long, and there are prizes to win at the end, so check it out and sign up before you leave! It’ll be fun, I promise.