Hey there ya’ll, Happy New Year and welcome to 2012! This here is the first Top Ten Tuesday post of the year (hosted by The Broke and The Bookish) – this week’s topic is Top Ten Books You’re Excited to Read in 2012. I got lots!
1. Don Quixote by Miguel De Cervantes – So, I picked this book for the category of “Classic That’s Been Translated to English” for the Back to the Classics Challenge, because it’s a big classic and was originally written in Spanish. I wasn’t looking forward to it TOO much until I learned that my very wonderful, handsome honeyman has read it! And enjoyed it! Turns out he’s read several big classics that have always kind of intimidated me. (Seriously, LOVE that man!) Soooo, now I’m super excited to read it. I’m actually starting it today And this is the translation I’m going with… I originally bought the B&N edition, but the translation looked… not great. And this one seems a lot easier. But if anyone has a recommendation to which is the BEST translation, let me know!
2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore – I’ve been waiting for this book for AGES! And it will finally be released on May 1st, 2012. This will probably be the book I’m looking forward to the most this year.
3. It Takes a Witch by Heather Blake – OK, so Heather Blake is ACTUALLY Heather Webber, the author of the super-adorable Lucy Valentine books that I like so much. This is a new series she’s starting, and although I wish she was writing more Lucy Valentine books instead, I’m going to try this too. It actually comes out today, so I may go buy it
4. Sacre Bleu by Christopher Moore – New Christopher Moore book, comes out April 3rd. Need I say more?
5. The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett – This was recommended to me a few months ago by a friend of a friend. I bought it last week with my Christmas gift cards and I’m excited to try it out!
6. Assassin’s Apprentice by Robin Hobb – Jenn recommended this to me months ago and I ordered it from Amazon months ago, but I’ve been waiting until this year because I didn’t want to start a new series in the rest of 2011. So excited to finally read it!
7. The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud – My friend Doni has been recommending this kids / YA trilogy to me ever since we worked at Waldenbooks together like 6 or 7 years ago. I have the first book waiting on my shelf, and this shall be the year!
8. The Gemma Doyle Trilogy by Libba Bray – I love-love-LOVED Beauty Queens by Libba Bray, so I’m going to give these books a try. Once again, I already have the first book on my shelf. I’m so efficient. And a book hoarder.
9. The Pioneer Woman Cooks; Food From My Frontier by Ree Drummond – OK so this isn’t really a “reading” book, but the PW is coming out with a new cookbook on March 13th and I can’t wait! I looooove her first one – her recipe for chicken pot pie has totally captured the heart of my honeyman. Plus it’s really easy to follow the directions, and the pages are all gorgeous and colorful and she puts pretty pictures of her ranch and family and yeah, just awesome. It’s totally a cookbook that I’ll just flip through randomly and instantly want to try like every (non-beef or pork) recipe.
10. A Night Like This by Julia Quinn – This is supposed to come out in late spring (no solid date yet), but it’s the second book in the Smythe-Smith quartet by Julia Quinn. I really enjoyed the first book (Just Like Heaven), so I can’t wait!
So those are my ten! What books are you looking forward to in 2012?