Good morning guys! So this is Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by the lovely ladies over at The Broke and The Bookish. In honor of Jamie’s wedding this week (CONGRATS JAMIE!!!!), the topic this week is Top Ten Book Romances That You Think Would Make It In The Real World (outside the book). I’m in the mood for a little romance, so let’s get to it, shall we?
1. Jamie & Claire from Outlander – OBVIOUSLY.
2. Tatiana & Alexander from The Bronze Horseman – But only if you completely forget that the third book, The Summer Garden, ever existed. Because in that final book Paullina Simmons took this amazingly epic couple and completely ruined them. I wish I could erase the part of my memory where that book exists. But their love is all awesome and beautiful in the first two books, and they go through SO MUCH that normal everyday stuff would not destroy them.
3. Sarah & David from Married With Zombies - Because if they can survive a zombie apocalypse, I’m sure they can re-adjust to normal life again without their previous marital problems.
4. Cathy & Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights – Okay hear me out. In the real world, no one cares if you’re a gypsy or an orphan or whatever. In the real world, Heathcliff would have beaten the CRAP out of Cathy’s brother, and Cathy would not have had to stay at pretty-boy’s house because his huge dog bit her. Instead, she would have gone home and SUED HIS ASS and then her and Heathcliff could have run away to start a life together with her huge settlement check. (Clearly I need to re-write this book for the modern day. Not.)
5. Bod & Scarlett from The Graveyard Book – Because I have to believe that they met again out in the real world. In fact, maybe he goes to seek her out and she helps him learn how to function in life-outside-the-graveyard.
6. Katsa & Po from Graceling – Because they are so awesome and perfectly suited to each other. And Katsa’s views on marriage & baby-having is totally suitable for this time period.
7. Dash & Lily from Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares – As long as they’re still in hipster-ville NYC, I’m sure they’d continue to be absolutely adorable. And I like how Lily’s bubbly happiness kind of draws gloomy Dash out of his depressing shell a bit. And his dourness kind of helps to stabilize Lily when she’s going all frantic.
And here’s where I take it to the flip-side, and pick bookish couples that would NOT work in the real world… because apparently I don’t read enough books with perfectly awesome couples in them.
8. Bella & Edward from the Twilight series - I feel like this is very obvious. Someone would have checked Bella’s crazy self into a mental hospital for going all my-life-depends-on-you-noticing-me for some boy. And let’s face it, in real life Bella is a cutter and Edward probably would have devoured her halfway into the first book.
9. Roger & Brianna from the Outlander series – Okay, they have their sweet moments. But Brianna is just a pain in the ass like 80% of the time. And while Roger is all sweet and stays with her even when other guys would have run away, Brianna would eventually push him away and probably cheat on him in the real world.
10. a couple in Feed but I can’t say who or why without MEGA spoilers – But if you read the trilogy, then you probably know who I’m talking about.
For real though, looking around my shelves I realized how many books I have or read that don’t even have couples in them, or if they do they kind of suck. Like in The Hunger Games trilogy… I SO disagree with how that love triangle worked out, because Katniss NEVER ACTUALLY MADE A DECISION. And “I’m with you by default” doesn’t work like ever. And I noticed I’ve read a lot of books where the romance is hinted at between two characters, but various reasons never really allow them to come together. And in a lot of sci-fi, fantasy, and classic books that I have, there’s a pretty obvious lack of romance. Apparently I need to read more love stories.
So, which bookish romances do you think would survive in R.L.? Do you disagree with any of my picks?